Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Am Second - Book Review


I am Second on Amazon.com

My first exposure to I Am Second came about a year ago – long before I got the book.  I saw a link to one of their videos, clicked through, and was immediately impressed with their work.  Earlier last Fall I used a series of their videos as conversation starters with the teens in our church.  Powerful real life testimonies from some of the people the students look up to really were great fuel for faith discussions.

So when the book came out, I knew that I was going to read it.  I entered in with high expectations, and the book met and even exceeded them in many places.  First, I was impressed by the number of interviews they used.  I had seen a handful of the videos for the people featured in the book, but that didn’t dissuade me in any way from reading about them all once again.

Another strength of the book is the diversity of those whose stories they are featuring.  It ranges from Korn band member Brian “Head” Welch, MLB player Josh Hamilton, MMA fighter Vitor Belfort, US Army Captain Chris Plenkenpol to Pastor Nate Larkin.  The stories are their stories (and many others) about real life and real struggle and the real healing that is needed in our world – healing that can only come from Jesus.

As a warning – I wouldn’t recommend the book for young readers.  There are places where the reality of the stories are graphic (not in a perverse way) and cover content that young eyes and minds don’t yet need to be exposed to.  But for everyone else it is gritty and real and inspiring and hope giving.  The stories are all well crafted while yet allowing the voice of each individual to come through loud and clear.  You can read the book a chapter at a time, and in any order, or cover to cover.



I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review.  I did not pay for it, but was not paid for the review, nor was there an agreement (implicit or official) that I would give it a favorable review.


Josh Hamilton:


Brian "Head" Welch:


Colt McCoy:


Nate Larkin:


For more I Am Second videos click here.

1 comment:

Doug and Catherine Bender said...

I wanted to say thanks for sharing I am Second with your audience. I work with the organization as a writer and small groups coach. I wanted to let you know that I have a book coming out December 9 called Live Second: 365 Ways to Make Jesus First. The book contains 365 daily readings and prayers meant to inspire people to consider what life might look like if Jesus were First. I am organizing a Week-of-Second Blogging Campaign for bloggers like yourself who are fans of I am Second. Please email at launch@iamsecond.com if you are interested in receiving a copy of the book and joining in the campaign.
Doug Bender